Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Chicken jumper


Over the years I've dabbled in a bit of crochet, mainly in response to my nearest and dearest giving birth and wanting to make something a bit special for the new arrivals. Surely, I hear you say, it was only a matter of time before I combined this occasional passtime with some of my prevailing obsessions - Harry Potter, chickens, or ceramics perhaps?

My first bit of encouragement to go down this path came from El, who gave me Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter. My favourite project from this book is Wand Cozies on page 50 (knitted covers for your wand, of course). But sadly I have not realised it yet as....I can't knit.

Now, some of my well meaning (but let's face it, ignorant) friends conflate knitting with crochet, when anyone who dabbles knows that this is not the same thing at all. I don't knit, I crochet. I'm really unco with knitting; I make mistakes, drop stitches, don't' know how to undo, can't figure out how to adjust patterns and most importantly of all, I can't just chuck the pattern when I get to a bit I don't understand and go free form (which drives real knitters crazy). With crochet, on the other hand, I have no trouble following a pattern, can reverse mistakes and have flights of crazy fancy when I decide the pattern is too boring etc etc.

Well today, dear friends, and thanks to Rebecca- Anne, I have received some inspiration that is going to be hard to resist...even harder than the wand cozies. Yes, it's the chicken jumper and can't you just see Barnaby Pyjama Pants in this little outfit?

If only I could knit....

No comments: